The good news is that lifestyle can keep your mind working sharply even into old age. The bad news is that changes in memory and thinking are inevitable as we age.Take charge of your mind with some steps:
- Take the stairs: Exercise benefits your whole body. Start by adding a few minutes to your daily routine of running errands or avoid elevators.
- Shake things up: Change something in your routine daily to keep your mind thinking of new ideas, instead of being on autopilot. Take a different route home or simply change your computer's wallpaper.
- Don't multi-task: When learning something new, try to focus all your energy on that task, otherwise, your mind may recall the music in the background, instead of the important step you need to remember.
- Manage your Diabetes: Keep your sugar under control, maintain a healthy weight and balance your diet - as a diabetic episode can affect your memory.
- Do Math or a Crossword Puzzle: instead of using the calculator, solve a math problem using long-hand - and on Sunday, do a crossword before watching your sporting event.